Campus Assistance, Response, and Engagement (CARE)

COVID-19 and CARE Services in the Dean of Students Office 

CARE Services is dedicated to supporting students in need during this challenging pandemic.  We will do our best to respond to request and referrals in an appropriate time and manner and we will be prioritizing cases that involve safety concerns first.  CARE Services is appreciative of your flexibility and patience.

Many departments at Cal Poly Humboldt are beginning to return to campus under specific safety guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and the the Dean of Students Office remains dedicated to supporting student success.  Our services are currently available to Cal Poly Humboldt Students both virtually through Zoom and phone and in-person on campus by appointment.  At this time we are not able to accept drop-in appointments. Below is our schedule of availability:

Open: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm

The best way to reach us or schedule an appointment is by emailing and we can also be reached at our main phone line 707-826-3504 where you may leave a voice message for someone to return your call. 

If you are submitting a referral for a Student of concern, please continue to use the links above to access the reporting forms.  Campus wide information related to COVID-19 changes can be found from the link below.  


Our intention is for the CARE Program to be a safe and trusted campus resource that supports students who are overcoming extenuating circumstances. This site contains information to assist you in accessing on and off campus resources related to food security, housing needs, mental health services, medical services, alcohol and other drug treatment, and other basic needs. Click the drop down menus (on the right) to learn more about resources in our community. We know that sometimes it can be difficult to access resources on your own, and we are happy to help navigate the process to make it as easy as possible.

If you have any questions, or if our services sound like they could be helpful, you can contact our office at (707) 826-3504 or email us. The CARE Services office is located in the Office of the Dean of Students on the Cal Poly Humboldt campus in Siemens Hall 211.

-Rob Keever, CARE Services Coordinator

-Kali Rothrock, CARE Case Manager

What We Do

Our Mission: The Campus Assistance, Response, and Engagement (CARE) program’s primary mission is to support the wellbeing and success of Cal Poly Humboldt students by facilitating referrals, support, and advocacy through non-clinical interventions.

CARE Services Include:

  • Referrals to basic needs resources on and off campus
  • Academic accommodations/advocacy including notifying professors regarding missed classes, dropping a course, and withdrawing from a course due to extenuating circumstances
  • Help with navigating and explaining university policy and procedures
  • Consultation for the university community regarding students in distress
  • Follow-up services in collaboration with parents, guardians, community agencies, other university departments, and other stakeholders in the student’s success
  • Depending on the nature of the situation, CARE will consult with Cal Poly Humboldt offices impacted by a crisis

Temporary Emergency Housing Program:

  • Provides a short-term on-campus housing space for students who are without housing, having challenges obtaining housing, or facing a housing emergency
  • Can be available up to 21 days in the Fall and Spring semesters for matriculated Cal Poly Humboldt students
  • Program is subject to availability and access to the program is at the discretion of CARE Services and Cal Poly Humboldt Housing and Residence Life
  • Please see the attached guidelines here for more information

Limitations of CARE Services:

  • Title IX and DHR accommodations (For issues related to intimate partner violence, sexual assualt, stalking, harassment, discrimination, and/or retaliation, please click here)
  • Student conduct issues (For concerns related to academic or behavior conduct, please click here)
  • Direct clinical or counseling services (For information about physical and mental health services at Cal Poly Humboldt, please click here)
  • Academic or career advising (For information about academic or career advising services at Cal Poly Humboldt, please click here)
  • Academic reinstatement support after disqualification (For information about the reinstatement process, please click here)
  • Support for alumni or non-matriculated students (For local resources, please see our Off Campus Resources drop down menu) 
  • Acessibility and disability services (For information about services at Cal Poly Humboldt, please click here)


*Our program abides by the Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Due to this we are a private but not a confidential resource.

CARE Referral Forms

On-Campus Resources

Off-Campus Resources

Get Involved at Cal Poly Humboldt

Parents & Family

Parents & Family